NCEA Micro-credential Program
Competency-based Learning for Catholic School Educators
Develop your skills and earn recognition for your professional growth
What is a micro-credential?
Micro-credentials are personalized learning options to allow educators to gain specific skills in an area of their choosing at their own pace. Micro-credentials are an emerging trend in professional development. The future of PD is in demonstrating mastery in specific skills. They enhance or fill in the gaps where formal degree programs for district/diocesan PD fall short. They are short term, asynchronous, online PD experiences focused on specific skills. The participant must demonstrate proficiency in that skill to earn a micro-credential. Anyone in a professional role that wants to grow in proficiency in particular skill areas can benefit from micro-credentials.
How can micro-credentials benefit your career in education?
- Competency-Based - specific to skills that will directly and immediately impact your students and teaching by focusing on job-embedded skills. No more learning in a vacuum! You will learn and experiment on the job, so you don’t have to find a lot of “extra time” to complete a course…weave your tasks into your regular lesson plans and/or professional roles.
- Flexible – users can achieve micro-credentials on-demand at their convenience, but will also have the support of a facilitator.
- Personalized – Educators can choose what skills are important to them and take ownership of their professional learning
- Portable and Shareable – Not only do you earn a digital badge for achieving a micro-credential, you can link it to your social networks or list on your resume. It follows you, rather than staying in a particular program or system.
- Backed by NCEA and Digital Promise – once you complete your micro-credential via NCEA, you have the option to submit your completed micro-credential for graduate credit via one of our university partners.
How do you access micro-credentials?
All micro-credentials will be offered via NCEA. Once registered attendees will receive further instructions access the program collection and course offering. Please see current micro-credential programs below.
Fall 2018 Inaugural Micro-Credential Cohort - Registration Now Open!
Selecting Tools for Digital Assessment
Join us for the inaugural micro-credential cohort, Selecting Tools for Digital Assessments, and learn how to assess digital tools to align their functionality with desired student assessment data points. The educator will develop a rubric to evaluate and select digital assessment tools for the classroom.
NCEA micro-credential program collections are hand-picked and vetted by the NCEA program development staff and from Catholic educators teachers like you.
Current Micro-credential Program Collections