Catholic Schools Are 78% of the National Blue Ribbon Award Winning Non-Public Schools in 2019
Excellent academics and faith formation are a winning formula for U.S. Catholic schools in 18 arch/dioceses in 15 states and Washington, D.C.
Arlington, VA – The National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) congratulates the 39 Catholic schools who have been awarded the National Blue Ribbon Award for 2019. All the 2019 National Blue Ribbon Schools are invited to a celebration ceremony and reception in Washington, D.C. on November 14 and 15, 2019.
Dr. Thomas Burnford, NCEA President/CEO said, “It is no coincidence that Catholic schools capture the lion’s share of the National Blue Ribbon Awards for private schools year after year. Catholic schools are places of academic excellence and rigor, communities of faith, knowledge and witness. Catholic school principals and teachers deliver the highest level of dedication and achievement in Catholic education nationwide.”
Since 1982, the National Blue Ribbon has been given to public and non-public K-12 schools nationwide. The program evaluates student achievement with measurable characteristics that help identify not only the high achieving schools – Exemplary High Performing Schools – but also those schools (non-public schools are not eligible for Gap Closing recognition) that have achieved despite challenging odds – Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools. A complete explanation of the National Blue Ribbon Awards and the process are available online.
This year, there are 312 public schools and 50 non-public schools recognized as institutions where students master challenging and engaging content. Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year. The Department of Education invites National Blue Ribbon School nominations from the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education. Private schools are nominated by the Council for American Private Education (CAPE).
NCEA congratulates the 39 Catholic schools now proclaiming the honor of being National Blue Ribbon Schools:
- Blessed Sacrament Elementary School, Washington, D.C., Archdiocese of Washington
- Saint Peter School-Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C., Archdiocese of Washington
- Espiritu Santo Catholic School, Safety Harbor, FL, Diocese of St. Petersburg
- Immaculate Heart of Mary School, Atlanta, GA, Archdiocese of Atlanta
- Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic School, Atlanta, GA, Archdiocese of Atlanta
- Queen of Angels Catholic School, Roswell, GA, Archdiocese of Atlanta
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for Fine Arts, Chicago, IL, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Academy, Chicago, IL, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Old St. Mary’s School, Chicago, IL, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Saint Benedict Preparatory School, Chicago, IL, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Saint Raymond School, Mount Prospect, IL, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Saints Cyril and Methodius School, Lemont, IL, Archdiocese of Chicago
- St. Athanasius School, Evanston, IL, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Immaculate Heart of Mary School, Indianapolis, IN, Archdiocese of Indianapolis
- Saint Joseph Grade School, South Bend, IN, Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend
- Saint Maria Goretti School, Westfield, IN, Diocese of Lafayette in Indiana
- Saint Thomas Aquinas School, Indianapolis, IN, Archdiocese of Indianapolis
- Holy Rosary-West Catholic School, Bucyrus, KS, Archdiocese of Kansas City
- Ascension School, Louisville, KY, Archdiocese of Louisville
- Notre Dame Academy, Park Hills, KY, Diocese of Covington
- Saint Dominic School, Springfield, KY, Archdiocese of Louisville
- Saint Thomas School, Fort Thomas, KY, Diocese of Covington
- Saint Joseph Regional Catholic School, Beltsville, MD, Archdiocese of Washington
- Saint Raphael School, Rockville, MD, Archdiocese of Washington
- Our Lady of Grace Catholic School, Edina, MN, Archdiocese of St. Paul – Minneapolis
- St. Patrick Catholic High School Biloxi, MS, Diocese of Biloxi
- Mount Michael Benedictine School, Elkhorn, NE, Archdiocese of Omaha
- Saint Wenceslaus Catholic School, Omaha, NE, Archdiocese of Omaha
- Christian Brothers Academy, Syracuse, NY, District of Eastern North America, Diocese of Syracuse
- Cardinal John Foley Regional Catholic School, Havertown, PA, Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Mary Mother of the Redeemer School, North Wales, PA, Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Saint Pius X School, Broomall, PA, Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Saint Thomas the Apostle School, Glen Mills, PA, Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Saints Colman-John Neumann School, Bryn Mawr, PA, Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- O’Gorman Junior High School, Sioux Falls, SD, Diocese of Sioux Falls
- St. Katharine Drexel Elementary School, Sioux Falls, SD, Diocese of Sioux Falls
- St. Mary School, Sioux Falls, SD, Diocese of Sioux Falls
- Juan Diego Catholic High School, Draper, UT, Diocese of Salt Lake City
- St. Francis of Assisi School, Triangle, VA, Diocese of Arlington
More information about the Blue Ribbon Catholic schools is available online.
In service of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, NCEA strengthens Catholic school communities by providing professional development, formation, leadership and advocacy.